Friday 26 April 2013

First locks of the year

Yesterday we had a day out, driving into Manchester to help our friend David bring his boat up the Rochdale 9. The weather could have been better but we had a good time none the less.


I know it's very built up and there's always quite a bit of rubbish in the water, but I really like this section of canal. There's always lots to see and always something new each time we pass this way. I particularly like the way it keeps disappearing underneath the tall buildings but I wish these tunnels didn't smell so bad.

This reed shelf looked new



A clever Canada Goose had built her nest in a very secure spot, about 6 feet above the canal and in direct view of a CCTV camera.


So what do two men do when they've not seen each other for months?  Stand around gossiping, leaving me to hover in mid channel until they notice that the lock is empty. Every lock was set against us and by the time we got to the top both men were starting to ache. Perhaps the Rochale 9 aren't the best ones to do as first locks of the year.


I really enjoyed steering Wye Knot. It's been a long time since I drove a 57ft boat and it was much easier getting the shorter boat onto the landing stage in Canal Street than it is in our 65 footer.


No comments: