Tuesday 12 July 2011

Into a marina

We’ve decided that we like the River Avon so much we’re going to stay a bit longer and explore the surrounding countryside. Free public moorings around here are usually only available for one night so we’ve booked into a small marina for a few days. I’m not too fond of marinas as I find it a bit claustrophobic being in between 2 other boats, but it’ll do for a short while.  As marinas go it’s actually quite nice. It’s recently been developed, is only small, has good facilities and so far everyone I‘ve met has been extremely friendly.


The only kitchen gadget I have on the boat is my Magi-mix ‘Le Micro’ mini food processor. I use it frequently for everything from making breadcrumbs to chopping onions.  I find it particularly good for using up leftovers and yesterday made these lamb rissoles from what was left after Sunday’s roast lamb dinner.


This is based on one of Delia Smith's recipes which I've been making for years. It actually came from Book One of her Cookery Course, which my mother-in-law gave me when we got married 32 years ago.  I've made it so often now that I don't weigh anything so I apologise if the quantities of ingredients is a bit vague.

Chop a small slice of bread into breadcrumbs and put in a mixing bowl.


Chop the leftover meat (lamb or beef) from the Sunday joint (in this case shoulder of lamb) and add to the mixing bowl.


Chop a sprig of rosemary, a clove of garlic and a handful of parsley and add to the bowl along with a beaten egg and salt and pepper.



Mix everything together, divide into 4 and squeeze into burgers.
Beat another egg in a bowl and put some flour into a separate bowl.
Dip each rissole first into the egg then into the flour to coat all over.


Fry gently for about 5 minutes on each side till golden and crispy and serve with leftover gravy and fresh veg. or as a burger in a bun.

No comments: